United States Regulars Monument (Gettysburg)
Battlefield: Gettysburg National Military Park, Pennsylvania
Location: Hancock Avenue, South of the High Water Mark
Map Coordinates: +39° 48' 40.32", -77° 14' 8.88"
- "Erected by the Congress to commemorate the services of that portion of the Army of the Potomac composed of cavalry, artillery, infantry and engineers of the Regular Army of the United States in the Gettysburg Campaign June-July 1863"
- "The artillery consisting of 26 batteries was distributed over the field among the several army corps and placed in position where their services were most needed; Brigadier General Henry Hunt, Chief of Artillery"
- "Four regiments of cavalry under Brigadier General Wesley Merritt took position on the right flank of the Confederate line of battle."
- "Eleven regiments of infantry were on the field; Ten with the Second Division, Fifth Corps and one at Headquarters Army of the Potomac."
- "Battalion of U.S. Engineers, Captain George H. Mendell commanding"
- "Casualties: killed 12 officers, 159 enlisted men; wounded 62 officers 661 enlisted men; missing 6 officers 275 enlisted men"
- (Two additional plaques contain names and other information about the United States Regulars)
Artist: Bitter, Karl, sculptor; Van Amringe Granite Company, fabricator
Dedicated: May 30, 1909
Dimensions: Overall: H. 85 ft.; Base: 17 ft. x 14 ft. 6 in. x 14 ft. 6 in.; Terrace: 2 ft. x 43 ft. 6 in. x 43 ft. 6 in.
Description: Monument consists of a five-course Mt. Airy granite shaft on an elevated terrace. An eagle in relief with spread wings appears on each side of the shaft at the base. A sphere tops each corner of the terrace.
Cost: $63,000.00 (May 1909) (monument: $50,000; plaques: $13,000)
Remarks: This monument was authorized by Congress in acts passed on Feb. 18, 1903 and March 3, 1903. It is the only monument at Gettysburg commissioned by Congress to honor the regular Army who served at Gettysburg. In planning the monument, the Committee of Survivors of the Regular Army worked with the National Park Commission in summer 1906. The veterans opted for one major monument to be erected for the regular Army with leftover funds to be used for monuments to individual commands. Reportedly, Capt. Frank Furness, a consultant to Secretary of War William H. Taft, ultimately chose the design regardless of the opinions of the Committee and the Commission.
Battlefield Location Map