USS Tonawanda — named for a Seneca Indian word meaning "swift water," referring to river rapids — was launched on 6 May 1864; and commissioned on 12 October 1865, Comdr. William Ronckendorff in command. Completed too late for service in the Civil War, Tonawanda, was decommissioned at the Washington Navy Yard on 22 December 1865. Reactivated on 23 October 1866 for duty as a training ship at the United States Naval Academy, she was serving in that capacity when she was renamed Amphitrite on 15 June 1869. Her assignment at Annapolis ended in 1872, and she was taken to the Delaware River and broken up in 1873 and 1874 by the Harlan and Hollingsworth Co., Wilmington, Del.
Part of the text is incorporated from the United States Navy's Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, a work in the public domain.