The first ship of the United States Navy named Chickasaw was launched 10 February 1864 by Thomas G. Gaylord, St. Louis, Mo.; brought to Mound City, Ill., 8 May; and commissioned 14 May 1864, Acting Master J. Fitzpatrick in command.
Between 14 May and 30 June 1864 Chickasaw patrolled on the Mississippi River. Sailing to New Orleans, she joined the West Gulf Blockading Squadron on 9 July. While operating with the Squadron she participated in Admiral David Farragut's victory the Battle of Mobile Bay (5 August 1864), during which she was struck by enemy shells 11 times, and the attacks on Forts Gaines (6 August) and Morgan (13 August). The monitor remained in the vicinity of Mobile Bay until 3 July 1865 when she sailed down river for New Orleans.
Upon her arrival at New Orleans 6 July 1865, Chickasaw was decommissioned and laid up. Between 15 June and 10 August 1869 she bore the name Samson and then reverted to Chickasaw. She was sold at New Orleans 12 September 1874.
Part of the text is incorporated from the United States Navy's Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, a work in the public domain.