Codori Farm (Gettysburg)
The Codori Farm was “ground zero” for Pickett’s Charge and is one of the battlefield’s best known landmarks due to its central location. The house, built in 1834, is the oldest structure on the farmstead.
- Battlefield: Gettysburg National Military Park, Gettysburg, Pennsylvania
- Location: 273 acres on the east side of Emmitsburg Road
- Map Coordinates: +39° 48' 41.06", -77° 14' 24.80"
- Built: 1834, Barn Rebuilt 1884
- Occupants in July 1863: Unknown, owned by Nicholas Codori
- Current Owner: National Park Service
History of the Codori Farm
The Codori Farm is just south of Gettysburg on the east side of Emmitsburg Road. It was the scene of heavy fighting on July 2 and was at the center of Pickett's Charge on July 3. The farmhouse was there at the time of the battle, although a two story brick addition was added to its rear in 1877. The current barn is a replacement for the original was torn down in 1882.
The farm was owned by Nicholas Codori, who came to America from Alsace, France, in 1828 at the age of 19. He bought the 273 acre farm in 1854, replacing the original log house with today's two story frame building. A butcher, Nicholas lived in town at 44 York Street (now the The Brafferton Inn Bed and Breakfast) and rented the farm to tenants. One of the original parishioners of St. Francis Xavier Church, Nicholas offered his home on York Street for Mass while the church served as a hospital from the time of the battle until January of 1864.
On July 2, two regiments of Harrow’s Union brigade moved forward to the road astride the house to confront a major attack by Confederate infantry. Their position was overrun; wounded sought shelter within the house.
On July 3, the house proved an obstacle to Garnett’s Virginia brigade as it participated in the Pickett-Pettigrew Assault. Confederate wounded joined Union wounded in the house until the conclusion of the battle. Confederate General Kemper was carried to the shelter of the walls of the farms buildings when wounded during the attack, prior to being carried off the field.
The Codori Farmhouse is one of three in the park exhibiting battle damage to the interior. The board interior wall on the south end of the living room may be the only Civil War-era interior fabric still surviving from the battle era.
It is not clear who occupied the farm at the time of the battle. One story is that was Nicholas' niece, Catharine Codori Staub, and her husband John Staub, who took refuge in the basement during the fighting. According to Jane Riley, who was a toddler at the time of the battle, it was her parents, John and Talitha Reiley.
It was estimated that over 500 Confederate soldiers were buried on the farm after the battle.
In 1868 Nicholas Codori sold his Emmitsburg Road farm. It was useless for farming purposes because it was now a mass grave for Confederate soldiers. However, by 1872, all of the remains that could be located were removed from the fields and shipped south and Codori bought the farm back.
The farm was sold to Gettysburg National Military Park in 1907. Today the farm is owned by the National Park Service and the farmhouse is a residence for park personnel.
In the Snow as seen from Seminary Ridge, © Mike Kendra, January 20, 2002.
A Snowy Day from Cemetery Ridge, © Mike Kendra, December 29, 2012.
- Stone Sentinels Entry: http://www.gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/Places/Codori.php